Year 10 Careers
GREAT CAREER ASPIRATIONS THROUGH GREAT CAREERS ADVICE AND GUIDANCE
During Year 10 students will be working with their own tutor group and year group on a range of careers related activities. The key area will be for students to research a variety of careers and pathways suitable to their own needs and to work on their career action plan.
Year 10 will be doing the following:
- Individual target setting with tutor for discussion at Student Review Day with parents.
- Self improvement where necessary.
- Continue work on the skills, qualities and capabilities to further develop character in line with what employers look for when recruiting staff.
- PSHE Days including careers workshops.
- Continue Career Action planning.
- CV and interview skills workshop,
- Mock Interview Day - interview with an employer.
- Stop the Clock workshops looking at a variety of careers.
- Careers research on the National Careers Service website.
- Guest speakers, taster days and visits where appropriate.
- Research and applications for work experience.
- Explore pathways: college, apprenticeship, traineeship, university etc.
- CITB Construction Day.
- Foundation Learning.
- Royal Marine Training personal development training.
- Active tutoring with a focus on careers.
- London science lectures.
- RAF Flying High Languages Trip
- Politics Day
- Language Conference at Toot Hill
- Career aspirations questionnaire
- Careers Week focusing on pathways: visits to a variety of colleges and universities and presentations from apprenticeship providers.
- Ambassador events and training.
- Torches to record achievements both in school and out of school.
- Extensive sports opportunities to represent the school.
- Charity fund raising throughout the year.
- Student voice,
- Foreign Exchange.
- School musical production.
- Duke of Edinburgh
- First Aid - workshops to be delivered by St Johns Ambulance
- Presentation Skills - develop skills needed for presenting.
- Speaking to an Audience - Workshop to develop skills of how to speak in front of large audiences.
- SSAT qualification - Student leadership accreditation qualification.
- Interview/Leadership training - develop an understanding of how to be a strong leader
- E-Safety - training on E-safety and how to ensure all pupils are aware of how to use the internet safely.
- Anti-bullying - training on how to recognise bullying, how to support pupils who are being bullied and how to report it through the school's online system.
- Body Language Training - sessions that will develop an understanding of positive/negative body language and how it can be used in a variety of scenarios.
Mock Interview Day - Tuesday 20 March 2018
Year 10 students had a fantastic day taking part in Mock Interviews with employers to demonstrate their interview techniques and cv. It will increase their confidence about interviews and once they have their feedback they will be able to put an action plan into place to ensure that they sell themselves well at their next interview.
We had 29 local business people attending. It's one of the most memorable experiences for Year 10 students and is invaluable to them.
Interviewers and Year 10 Students from the Year 10 Mock Interview Day
What is YouNG?
YouNG is an innovative project run by Rushcliffe Borough Council aiming to give new work experience and careers event opportunities to young people in the area. The YouNG project works with businesses, schools and parents to act as a link between pupils and local/national companies (Rolls Royce, Nottingham Rugby Club, Vision Express and more) in order to make work experience and apprenticeship opportunities more accessible and available.
How can you get involved?
The YouNG project recruits 7 pupils from 7 schools in the area (including Toot Hill) to work for Rushcliffe Borough Council with YouNG for a year period, gaining valuable experience and earning money whilst doing so! If you wish find out more information about the project beforehand feel free to email or visit Mrs farmer or the current YouNG Ambassador Jamie Cordon (14JCordon@toothillschool.co.uk).
If you are interested in applying to work experience through YouNG visit the website WeAreYouNG and follow YouNG on Twitter (@YoungWeAreYouNG) and Facebook (Young Network Group) for more information on the opportunities available to you!
Work Experience 2017-18
All our current Year 10 students will go on Work Experience in October 2018 when they are in Year 11.
The deadline for finding a placement is July 2018. We encourage students to find their own placement but they can speak to Mrs Farmer for advice and guidance. More information will come out to students and parents soon.
Top tips for students looking for work experience
1) Experience -
Get as much relevant work experience
as possible to make you stand out from other candidates.
2) CV and cover letter -
Do your research and tailor your CV
and cover letter to the company you are applying to.
3) Job Search - Don't limit your job search to one role. Be inquisitive
, find out lots about lots of different careers. If you are asking questions, you are learning!
4) Interview -
You only have a few seconds to make a first impression
, so make it count. Be prepared, stand tall, dress smart and most importantly, smile!
5) Career - The process of finding a job can be disheartening, but make sure you make the most of every opportunity, learn from mistakes and never give up!